12 June 2016

Knit Lace Emerging -- Early Lessons Learned



Two knit lace projects in progress
Knit Lace Emerging 12 Jun 2016
Two projects in progress -- Paintbrush Kinit Lace Cowl in Alpaca with a Twist Fino ( 3002 pink) and Maple Leaf Knit Shawl in Miss Babs Yummy 2 ply (Infuriated - Wild Iris).

Lessons learned so far:

  • Shoulders can be injured when you knit. Pay close attention to posture and even what type of chair. I'm still figuring this out -- the hard way. I discovered that knitting while sitting in my favorite lounge chair -- with its cushy wrap around back -- is part of the problem for me. I'm carrying my knitting around to various locations in our home trying them out for knitting comfort and available light.
  • Choice of knitting needles makes a big difference in enjoyment, and even the potential for repetitive motion injuries. I've moved from bamboo to metal. The slope and pointiness of the needle tip makes a huge difference. I struggled thinking it was my lack of skill and ended up sore and frustrated. Sharp lace needles help. I'm still figuring out what length of needle tip and tip style in the circular needles will work best for me to reduce muscle and joint discomfort. The Maple Leaf shawl project is being knit with KnitPicks Options Interchangeables Nickel Plated circulars. I am knitting the cowl project using HiyaHiya Sharp Interchangeables 4".

No comments:

Post a Comment