15 June 2016

3 Strategies to Avoid Injury while Knitting -- One Last Peony

Still Life with Peonies in a Bottle
Last red peony of the season from my garden

Appreciating the Garden While Taking a Knitting Break

3 Strategies to Avoid Injury while Knitting

  • Get up and move every 30 minutes to unkink your arms and shoulders and neck
  • Focus at a distance during this break to give your eyes a rest from close focus
  • Use tools to help you remember / remind you

Just one more row! 

Yes I'm on a self imposed deadline to finish and block a current knitting project. My previous strategy was to knit until I was too sore to continue -- or until the light was too bad to see.

That hadn't been working so well for me -- my shoulder & neck.

New Tactic- Display Elapsed Time on Your Row Counter!

So today I set the elapsed timer feature on my recently acquired iOS app the Knit and Crochet Counter. With this free app -- or update /pay $0.99 for no ads-- I can create a separate row counter for each work in progress. The app can be linked to your Ravelry account at a project level! For my current project I added the total pattern rows to the counter setup. Now, not only do I have an easy way to keep track of what row I'm on -- with added notes to remind me what row the pattern shifts -- but there, staring me in the face as I touch the counter button on the screen to increment the row is a smaller display showing elapsed time and another show percentage of project completed!   There are other available features I am just beginning to explore.  This is a great app. Simply count or do more!

I wonder if I can set an audible reminder on the counter to signal my 30 min -- time to get up and stretch?

No comments:

Post a Comment